You’ll agree to the fact that yellow nails can really be embarrassing. What about hiding them beneath a beautiful nail paint shade? Problem solved! *Nah* You need to act a little smarter and go attack right on to the reason of your problem which is yellowish nails.
A little back story here: Yellow is one of my favorite colors. Once I had applied yellow nail paint from one of the leading brands, Maybelline. After 4 to 5 days, when the nail paint started to come off naturally, I saw the obvious – yellow nails. Help!!
Things I learnt: This is a sort of horror story for me and I feel for any girl. But as they say dumb people learn from their mistakes, I did too –
• Wear a base coat, girl! No matter even if it’s your favorite color and how excited you be to try it out. I know base coat is a must but let’s face it, we do skip it at times. Just don’t. Promise?
• Nail polish from well known brands too can lead to stained nails.
If you’re thinking, it must be the residue which made by nails appear yellow as the polish itself was yellow …. I wished the same. I hoped the same and rushed to nail polish remover. But Alas! Ugly yellow stains were still right there.
But I still had ray of hope and I thought to myself that since I skipped base coat, color has got stained and will disappear like it was never there. (Who was I even kidding?)
Weeks went by and it was the same. Yep, I hided it with nail paint and nail art. But it was still there, right there. I came to my senses and concluded if I didn’t treat it, I’ll have permanent stained nails.
I did search the internet, asked mom for solution, contacted my cousin who is an upcoming skincare specialist and zeroed on few remedies to help myself.
So let’s talk about his you can actually treat yellow nails. I got it due to nail paints which is quite common. But yellow nails can be due to various reasons like fungal infection, hereditary, irregular lifestyle, drinking, smoking, etc, etc.
1. Lemon to your rescue: You need to apply lemon juice on your nail beds using a cotton. As you may be aware, lemon is a natural bleaching agent. Or you can slice a lemon and directly apply it on to the effected area. Leave it for about 5 to 10 minutes. Wash off and apply your hand cream or better nail cream. If you don’t have either, use olive oil. It works great and also strengthen your nails.
2. Baking Soda: Baking soda can help to whiten your nails too. Make a solution using 3 part of baking soda, 1 part of hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup water. Soak your nails into the solution and you’re done.
3. Baking soda & Lemon: This is a little tweaked version of second way and I’ve used this remedy. Just mix both the ingredients in a plastic/glass container and apply on your nails using a soft bristled (unused, please!) brush. Don’t rub hard. After scrubbing for around 5 minutes, leave on for another 5 minutes and wash off.
Do moisturize in end as baking soda can actually leave your skin quite dry and make sure to use plastic or glass bowls and spoon only. Make these fresh and use ASAP. Don’t store.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar: Soak your nails in a mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar. Take both the ingredients in equal quantities. Apple cider vinegar is easily available in stores in India or you can get it online too from Amazon at affordable rate.
5. Whitening treatment: There are many products available online which act as whitening system for discolored/stained nails. Though I’ve not used any of these personally, I’ve seen many great youtubers suggesting few specific nail whiteners.
6. To treat your stained nails, you need to avoid certain foods and lifestyles. Smoking and drinking should be minimized or better banned. Wear gloves while gardening and avoid dark colored nail paints as they contain dark dye which is more prone to leave stains.
That’s all about my experience with yellow nails. I’ve tried #1, #3 and #4. I feel #3 worked best for me and I used it maximum. Though baking soda made my nails dry and rough, olive oil massage will balance it like a champ.
What do you do to treat your stained nails? Share in the comments below.
Until next time.
About the author:
This post is written by the beautiful Aisha who blogs at jhallidiva.com. She likes to write about anything to everything which she finds worth sharing on beauty and fashion.