Is your skin getting darker? If yes, then you are among the many pregnant women to suffer from skin pigmentation.
Skin pigmentation during pregnancy makes certain body parts darker. You may see the changes in the colour of your nipples, scars, moles, genitals, underarms, inner thighs, belly button, neck, or areolas (the area around your nipples). Skin darkening during pregnancy is also observed on areas of the face like the forehead, cheeks, nose, jawline, and upper lip. In some cases, pregnant women notice a dark-coloured line that runs down their belly button extending to the pubic area.
For most of women, skin problems during pregnancy are temporary and gradually wither away post childbirth.
Skin pigmentation happens due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy. The changes lead to an increase in the production of melanin, which is a pigment responsible for giving colour to the skin. The chances of facing skin problems are higher when it is your first pregnancy. Some of the other reasons that cause skin pigmentation include heredity, stress, deficiency of folic acid, and depression.
- If you want to know how to reduce pigmentation on your face during pregnancy, then the following remedies and tips will help you:
- Do not expose the skin to sunlight. Avoid going out during the afternoon. If you need to go, then cover yourself completely with a stole. Wear full-sleeved outfits. Wear a good hat that protects you from the sun.
- Apply sunscreen every morning. Use a sunscreen with Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 30 or more irrespective of whether or not you will be stepping out later.
- Use makeup to hide the dark patches. A good moisturiser, concealer, and foundation should suffice. Ensure that all of these are non-bleach products. Use gentle cleansers and cream to wipe the makeup later on.
- Apply fresh aloe vera pulp on the face for skin lightening.
- Mix milk and cream and apply it on the affected areas. The lactic acid in the two items will act as a natural skin lightener. You may also apply a mixture of ground almonds, saffron, and milk.
- Fresh tomato, cucumber, or lemon juice ensures proper skin care during pregnancy.
- Apply turmeric to darkened areas. Rub it well and wash with warm water after ten minutes. Alternatively, you may also dip the outer skin of lemon into turmeric powder and apply it to the affected areas.
Follow the tips to minimize the effects of skin pigmentation. For tackling common skin problems like stretch marks post pregnancy and any other advice, seek the right guidance on the Pampers India website. With its expertise, Pampers India will help you ease your pregnancy and post-pregnancy journeys.
This is a guest post.