Winter need not inevitably mean dry skin. With a few simple tips and home remedies, you can fight the dryness before it comes in.
All of us have experienced some form of dry skin at some point in our lives. Dry skin in winter is the most common. Skin feels stretched, itchy and flaky, and sometimes even gets small cracks.
But what causes dry skin?
- Cold, dry and windy weather that sucks away moisture from skin
- Dry indoor heating that dries your skin, leading to parched lips and dry noses
- Long hot showers and baths that wash away natural, protective oils
- Not using body lotion because legs and arms are covered and hidden away
- Using a hand sanitizer too often, which strips skin of its natural oil
- Harsh bar soaps, such as deodorant soaps
- Not drinking enough water
- Not maintaining a good winter diet
- Wearing rough clothes
- Licking lips frequently or using long-lasting lipsticks
You might believe that dry skin is inevitable in winter. What if I told you that it need not be, not when you have amazing winter skin care tips at your disposal?
#1 Live like a queen
Bathe in milk, as Cleopatra is said to have done. However, it just seems a bit wasteful in this day and age. Instead:
- Add two cups of milk and a quarter cup of honey to a warm bath.
- Soak in it for as long as you feel like it.
Curd hydrates, soothes and heals itchy skin. It is especially good for dry skin on face in winter.
- Just apply fresh curd on your face, hands and legs.
- Massage it gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and then go for a bath.
- You can do this every day.
#3 Honey and olive oil
Honey needs no introduction. It is your skin’s best buddy. As is olive oil.
- Make a delicious blend of a spoonful each of honey and olive oil, and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Coat the dry areas of your skin with this.
- Wipe off with a warm cloth after 20 minutes.
#4 Night oil therapy
One of the tips for dry skin in winter is to let your skin repair itself at night.
- Take a warm water bath.
- Dry yourself and then cover your skin with coconut or olive oil.
- Slip into some old clothes and drift off to sleep.
- Wake up to soft, supple skin.
#5 Bathe with oatmeal
Oatmeal moisturises and cleanses, without having any adverse effect on your skin.
- Grind 1 cup of oats to a fine powder.
- Add the powder to your bath.
- Soak in this water for 15-20 minutes.
- Pat yourself dry gently.
#6 Banana body scrub
Forget readymade cosmetic products. Make some at home yourself.
- Make a mash of one banana, two tablespoons each of honey and oats.
- Apply it to your body.
- Once it dries, start to scrub it off. Gently.
- Goodbye dry, dead skin
#7 Avocado face mask
Avocado is filled with the goodness of fatty acids.
- Apply mashed avocado to your face.
- Wash it off after 10-15 minutes.
- Do this daily.
#8 Switch to winter makeup
Be mindful of what you put on your face.
- Use more lip balms and less long-lasting lipsticks.
- Use a cream based blush rather than powders.
- Also, no mousse in winters.
- I find that it helps to use a gentle cleanser like Olay to remove makeup.
#9 Eat a lot of oil
The only way to replenish lost natural oils is by consuming more of them. Add natural oils such as coconut, olive and almond oil to your diet.
#10 Avoid wet or damp gloves and socks
Change wet socks or gloves immediately. Long use of damp clothing can irritate skin and lead to itching and, subsequently, dryness.
Try these beauty tips for dry skin in winter and let us know in the comments which one worked for you best.
This is a guest post by rewardme.in
Latest posts by Sangeeta G (see all)
- The Magic of Turmeric | Zenith Curcumin Plus - December 10, 2017
- You Don’t Need To Suffer From Dry Skin This Winter - November 24, 2017
- 6 BLOGGERS SHARE THEIR FALL MUST HAVES - November 19, 2017